Nomadic.fm is a digital learning company focused on preparing people to build, manage and lead businesses. They consult with academic and enterprise clients to build customized Field Manuals for students and deliver them through their platform.
I worked with the Nomadic team to improve the learning experience on the platform by giving students better tools and shifting focus towards the social elements of learning.
The original platform laid a good foundation but didn’t feel like a coherent digital learning space.
Early in the design process we experimented with multiple approaches to each feature and reworked how they all fit together.
The first major improvement was a clear library of content. Field Manuals began to feel like independent elements, each with their own title, cover image, and level of completion.
While each field manual is self-contained, its elements are accessible in different ways throughout the platform. For example, text and video can be favorited for quick reference at a later date.
Each Field Manual contains its own debate section but the conversation hub collects them all into one central location. It also allows users to start new conversations, outside of those set up by program administrators, so they can discuss the content on their own terms.
Notifications help to bring users back to the platform, keeping them engaged with the discussions they’ve participated in.
All of the activity happening in and around field manuals contributes to a leaderbaord. This highlights the competitive aspects of learning in a group of your peers.
I also contributed heavily to the front-end development of the new platform. One of Nomadic's goals is to enable learning anywhere, so we engineered the platform to be just as responsive as the learning materials it houses.
The Nomadic platform is continually being improved and rolled out to new institutions and organizations around the globe. Below is a short list of other improvements we’ve made to the platform over time.
I sat down with Scott Messigner to talk about his idea for Common Curriculum. Together we set out to envision a lesson templating system that would help teachers align their curriculum to the Common Core standards.
We first worked on a series of wireframes and user flows to illustrate some core application concepts. These were circulated to teacher focus groups and potential investors for feedback.
A few months later Scott reached out again as the team was preparing the product for launch. They wanted to iterate on the design and user experience and get some user-friendly prototypes in the hands of Baltimore City school teachers.
We worked through static visual designs, interactive click-throughs and full-featured prototypes in code.
The system’s key feature is lesson templating. Teachers can build off of example templates, create their own, or share templates with colleages.
During several pre-launch events we watched as teachers tested the various prototypes and gave us valuable feedback, which we quickly incorporated into the product.
The result was a fully-featured lesson planning tool tailored to the tastes of teachers.
Common Curriculum officially launched with a party at Max's Tap House in Baltimore. Friends of the Web provided final branding for the tool as well as early working prototypes. Development and design work were eventually taken over by the core team at Common Curriculum who have since launched several new iterations of the tool.
STEP is a literary assessment tool that shows teachers what students have already learned, and what will get them to the next "step." I worked in partnership with Inquirium to build several versions of the tool for UChicago Impact.
Version 1 - A simpler web version of the tool.
Version 2 - Updated with more advanced visualizations .
Version 3 - A complete UI overhaul to incorperate rebranding by UChicago.
The most recent version of the tool has hit its stride with intuitive visualizations that allow teachers to explore the results of reading assessments for individuals students, groups, classes, schools and districts.
In this visualization, students are represented by color coded rectangles, giving, at once, a broad and detailed view of student progress.
Clicking on an individual student reveals details of the last achieved step as well as the last assessment they didn’t pass.
We've expanded the tool over time in keeping with the information architecture and visual style guide we set up.
STEP tools and training models are currently being used in 21 states and 39 cities.
I met with Inquirium for a two day working session in Chicago to tackle the core application concepts of READi. The task: create a supported reading environment for high school students struggling with reading comprehension.
We wireframed our way through different navigation paradigms and got a sense for the information architecture and the intended student workflow.
By the end of the two days we had defined the broad stokes of the system.
At the top level, content in READi is organized into units and grouped by subject.
Each unit contains a number of sections that have background texts (B) to set the stage as well as primary texts (T) on which students focus activity.
Each unit also has a central argument, notecards created from the primary texts, and organizers to help arrange these notecards into meaningful patterns.
Students create notecards by annotating the text: highlighting important plot points, making notes on the text, and tagging things they don’t understand.
Notecards can be arranged into different frameworks (organizers) to help students synthesize the text.
This timeline organizer helps students arrange notecards in chronological order and group them by a concept.
These concepts were developed into working prototypes and tested with 9-12th grade students across the Chicago public school system. The research project and work on the tool are both ongoing.